sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

SLX: I had a question about setting the timing for an acura

I had a question about setting the timing for an acura slx, 1996. The waterpump sheared the pulley and the timing belt slipped off. The car was at a stop light when it happened, so hopefully there are no bent valves -- it is an interference motor.

My main concern is when i set the timing marks on the cam sprockets and align them with the dots on the plate, and then set the crank to the mark on the oil pump, is that all that's necessary? Will the pistons be all aligned and the valves in the right order -- compression stroke, etc.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Yes, when all timing marks are lined up then everything will be set correctly and that's all that is necessary. To install the belt and set the cam timing you'll just need to ensure that all timing marks line up and there is no slack in the belt in any area. After installing the belt and lining up the marks then you'll want to turn the crank clockwise two full revolutions and recheck the marks. As long as all the marks on the sprockets line up with the plate and oil pump and there is no slack between the crank, left cam, water pump and right cam then the valves will be in the correct position in relation to the cams and timing is set correctly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your time and expertise!!

You're welcome!

If I have been helpful rating my performance with at least OK Service or better will give me credit for helping you. Good luck with your car!