Joel
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
5217488

Isuzu Trooper: I have a 2001 Isuzu It has developed a weird

I have a 2001 Isuzu It has developed a weird whine. It seems to stop when I accelerate. but starts again when I let off the gas. It also seems to not want to always idle, acts like it might die. Not all the time though. This whine has gotten louder and I am worried something it about to break. I listened under the hood thinking it is a hose leaking, could seem to tell where it was coming from..??? Any ideas???
Category: Car
Expert:  Joel replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome.
The noise you are describing and the fact that it has an erratic idle and wants to die, tells me you have a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks can cause a whine or whistle noise and affects engine idle speed- not higher RPM's.

A vacuum leak can come from many places...
Throttle body gasket, any numbers of vacuum hoses, intake manifold gasket, etc. The best way to find a leak is to spray some brake cleaner or carb cleaner in those and all areas where there is vacuum.
NOTE: stay away from any source of ignition like plug wires and coil, also stay away from the exhaust- the spray cleaner is VERY flammable. When the spray gets into a vacuum leak, the idle will surge indicating the source of the vacuum leak.
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you for getting back to me quickly... I appreicate your time and your answer seems likely. I am glad to think it is a leak and nothing to major. Just one more question... You say to spray carb or brake cleaner in areas with the vaccum? Am I to understand I just spray at the hose or manifold? I take it the car needs to be running and I want to stay away from ignition wires... I does not wish to sound too silly or ask a stupid question just never done this before and want to be sure...

Expert:  Joel replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, yes that is exactly correct. Not a silly question. Yes, with engine at idle, spay around looking for the leak.

Joel, Auto Service Technician