DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.

D21 truck: 88 Nissan D21 truck. V6. Fuel injectors are going

88 Nissan D21 truck. V6. Fuel injectors are going bad and dumping too much fuel, running rich, burning way too much gas. I've replaced injectors on two different occasions and fixed the problem, but only for a few months or so. Any ideas what is the root problen causing the injectors to go bad?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Early injector failure can be caused by several things. I will list these in order of most common to least common:

Bad 02 sensor, causing you to run too much fuel and overworking fuel injectors. Usual give-away on this one is increased fuel consumption showing as reduced gas mileage.

Bad or weak Fuel Pressure Regulator causing too high or too low fuel pressure and overworking the injectors. This can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the rail. Fuel pressure should read between 42 and 50 psi.

Bad coolant temperature sensor causing your vehicle to always run rich and over working the fuel injectors. Easiest way to check this is to watch your temperature gauge and ensure it goes cold wen the car is cold, and hot when the car has been running.

But injector failures are common on your vehicle. Maybe try a different brand of part to see if it lasts longer. I find I have the best luck with re-manufactured factory components.