Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Audi A6 Quattro: I have a 2007 Audi A6 Quattro. Recently my

I have a 2007 Audi A6 Quattro. Recently my on board computer starting sending false codes that come and go that are front daylight headlight out, oil low, service. The front driving head actually does go out but then will come back on the next day with no code. I checked the oil and it's at the right level and hasn't dropped at all.
Any idea what is causing this?

Ok, They are likely not false codes. If the front headlight goes out but comes back on, then there is a fault in the system and needs to have the control modules read for fault codes.

Low oil light being on but having good oil level usually means that the oil level sensor is faulty or the wiring harness has a short in it, so again, not a false code. There is an actual issue that needs to be addressed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any idea what might be causing this? Unread online that this is common.

With the low oil light, the most common problem is a faulty oil level sensor located on the oil pan.

With the headlamps, it is usually a faulty control module, or ballast, but as neither are cheap, I do recommend having the system scanned with factory level scan tool to ensure correct diagnosis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention that the gas tank level sensor was reporting the wrong level but that seems to be working fine again.
Seems to me all this might be related to one module or part needing to be replaced?? Do you work for an Audi dealer service department?

No, I am an independent shop. I can opt out if you wish and you can wait for an Audi dealer tech to respond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Id rather not have an Audi dealership mechanic. I need to know what's going before I bring my car to the dealer. I've had a bad experience already with them.
What part would fix all these items? They all started actin up at the same time.

Ok, give me a few minutes to review all 3 of these circuits to see if there is a common tie in to them.

Ok, the only component that all these have in common is the Instrument cluster and cluster control module. The control module is integrated into the instrument cluster.

The first step is to check the cluster control module for any software updates and if software is up to date, the unit will most likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks!
About how much does this cost to fix and can te part be purchased outside the dealer and fixed outside the dealer?

Ok, without adaptive cruise control, the unit is $684 and with adaptive cruise control, it is $890. Labor to replace is 2.3 hours, which includes programming time. This will be about $230 in labor.

Total will be $914 to $1120

The programming required for the new unit can only be done with a factory level scan tool and software. If you have a European specialist shop near you, they may have the needed scan tool and software. IF not, then it will have to be done at a dealership
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Eric,

Do I have to buy these parts from the dealer or are they available online?

They are dealer only parts.