Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

my heater is only blowing out cold air

my heater is only blowing out cold air

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

What is the year make and model of the vehicle?

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2003 vw passat with climate control
Michelle,

Its very important to know if the air coming out is cold like ac or just the normal air even if not hot.

Please get the engine up to temp and feel each of the two heater hoses going into the firewall under the hood, let me know if both are hot, only one is hot and other is cold or if both are cold?

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Id say the temp out side. Which is in the low 40s.
Michelle,

I also needed to know:

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both hoses are warm

Michelle,

This means that hot coolant is passing through and out of the heater core as it should, the only thing this can then mean is that most likely the blend door is not functioning or heater core fins are clogged and not letting air past them.

This can then be the actual blend door or the hvac controls that are the problem, one would need to test the blend door actuator as the controls are switched to heat to see if the problem is with the door/actuator or the controls.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face/rating with poor/bad please instead reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The deposit you placed when you opened the question is only a deposit you can then click accept or one of the smile faces, but again only if you are satisfied and only when you are ready to do so. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was the door thing. Thanks joe.

Michelle,

Glad its now fixed, have a great night! Smile

- Joe