Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

OLDS Aurora: 96 aurora, When parked the shifter is very stiff

96 aurora, When parked the shifter is very stiff when trying to shift out of park into any gear. The transmission itself shifts well when driving. I have taken the console out and lubricated the cable and mechanism. I also lubed the cable where it goes into the trans. it is still very stiff. I'm afraid I'm going to break the shift shaft off

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem. If you pop off the shift cable off the transmission metal lever will the shifter still be hard to shift through the gears when the cable is popped off the transmission ?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I ran out of time last night.

Yes, it is still hard to shift when popped away from the transmission. When disconnected from the shifter the shifter moves smoothly and easily.

Stu

Ok Stu you need to replace the shift cable to fix this car

if you can disconnect both cable ends like you did it should be very easy for you to change

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Gary,

I guess there is no chance you can wave a magic wand for that one is there?

Any tricks to pulling that cable out or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks again

Stu

very straight forward when the cable gets to the fire wall there is just a rubber grommet on the cable to pop it out