Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Im hearing a whine and rattle when I start the engine, rattle

I'm hearing a whine and rattle when I start the engine, rattle stops when it warms up but the whine continues when it revs. Internet says that it's the timing chains, is it really the timing chains and which one? Primary or secondary? What do I need to buy to fix it?
Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Off-Road with a 4.0L V6 and it has 122,500 miles. This has been going on for a while, I just didn't think it was anything until the rattling started. I haven't tried anything yet, I want to know exactly what's wrong before I start messing with the engine, thank you.

Yes Cameron, they did have a service bulletin for the timing chains and shoes on them. The rattle is most likely from the chain being worn out. The tend to do that when they are cold, before the oil thins out and increases the tension on it.
.

.

.

>>>>>> BULLETIN <<<<<<<<

.

.

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE ..

Parts Information OEM Part # Price

Timing Chain

Chain

Right

13028ZS00A $98.29

Left

13028ZK01C $24.58

17 - Timing Chain

13028ZS00A $98.29
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Timing Chain

Replace

Timing Chain

B 0.0 8.9

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last thing, how much would it cost to take it in and what should I buy if I want to replace it myself? How labor intensive is it? Most important, how vital is it that I replace the chain right away?

Well, you don't want it to break while driving, of course. It would be best to get it done as soon as possible, (with the rattle) and the labor is not too bad, 9 hours or so.
.

Timing Chain

Replace

Timing Chain

B 0.0 8.9
.

Also you will want to use the updated parts from the bulletin.
.

graphic
.

.

Thanks

Hello, Jerry here. I was just wondering how your vehicle was and wanted to see if you may need anything further on it.