sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Audi A3: Good evening,I have an Audi A3 (2006 SE Edition)

Good evening,
I have an Audi A3 (2006 SE Edition) and it is current a non runner, I believe, due to an electrical problem causing the ignition, or component thereof, to fail.
I have had a mechanic look over the car and he has used a code reader, from which a message has come up stating that there is no communication with the dash.
I do not have a history of issues and have only just had another MOT & service.
Is this something common and would you have any idea of what the issue is and how is can be rectified?
Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you may have an ECM related issue. If the engine doesn't run and the ECM doesn't communicate with a code reader or scan tool then that points to it not being awake.

If the ECM loses a power or ground then it won't be able to power up. Since fuses are ok then this would have to be a wiring, fuse box or ignition switch issue.

Shorts to power or ground on some circuits can also take the ECM down. If the sensor ground circuit shorts to voltage or sensor reference voltage circuits short to ground it can prevent the ECM from waking up.

If you have a no start condition and the ECM won't communicate then the next things I would recommend is checking for shorts on these circuits and testing the powers and grounds.