Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

FIAT 500L: shifter is locked.

Our gear shift lever is locked up. I can't push in the button to put the car in park.  It will only move between drive and neutral and manual.  We used the manual override button and nothing changed.  We have a 2014 FIAT 500L. 

1st thing to check is the state of the brake pedal switch in the drivers footwell as the ECU needs to see a signal form this to release the shifter

as its only a 2 wire device you can easily check it with a multimeter

let me know what you find
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a multimete but I think the breaks are fine. This happened when I was parking the car was running, and I was switching out of manual to automatic to put the car in park.

Hello Marcia

the brake pedal switch won't effect the actual brakes its just a switch for the transmission to allow you to move the gear lever into drive

as you have to put your foot on the brake to get it to shift - correct? so a faulty switch can give this effect

if this is OK then I'd check under the car for the state of the gear selector cable and transmission lever-- check that these move freely and aren't broken or otherwise binding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks they just towed the truck to the dealership.

Understood Marcia

feel free to pass on my information, hopefully it will be of some help