mikehatch
mikehatch, mechanic/technician
Experience:  I have worked in the automotive industry for 32 years.

relaced fuel pump now getting no power to the fuel pump

Customer Question

Submitted: 8 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  mikehatch replied 8 months ago.

mikehatch :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX will see if i can assist you with your problem. First please give me the year make and model

mikehatch :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX will see if i can assist you with your problem. First please give me the year make and model also engine size if possible. thanks

Customer:

1991 plymouth voyager 6 clyinder

Customer:

i was wondering if the asd could be the problem if it is i need to know where it is so i can change or fix

mikehatch :

thanks for the info. Was the repair done right after the car stopped running or had the original problem or did the car sit for a while before the repair was done?

Customer:

sat for about a week and a half and has sat a little longer now trying to find out what is wrong

Customer:

we parked it and went to use the van and it would not start changed the fuel pump because the pressure was down and not no power to it

mikehatch :

ok, so you diagnosed the problem as no fuel pressure or had someone check it for you. Also has the battery gone dead or was it disconnected during this time?

Customer:

after fuel pump and relay replaced the battery had to be charged

Customer:

we checked the pressure ourselves

Customer:

and the fuel pump is not running now no power getting to it or relay

mikehatch :

OK, so does the engine turn over?

Customer:

it tryes to crank but just wont

mikehatch :

I should ask does the engine turn over for a short time and then stop turning over?

Customer:

It will try to crank till the battery goes dead but will not start

mikehatch :

OK, the engine needs , as you know, not only fuel but power to the plugs to fire, it also needs the injector to pulse or inject fuel in the cylinders. Sometimes its a good idea to check for fire to the sparkplugs. Have you checked?

Customer:

getting fire to plugs

mikehatch :

Once you check that and you have fire then There could be a problem with the connections or wiring going to the fuelpump. I would check to make sure all connection are good including the grounds is so required.

Customer:

I will check the connections also is there a automatic shut down i need to know about and if so where would i locate it

mikehatch :

If the connections are good making sure there is power to the fuel pump.

mikehatch :

Some of these car also have a antitheft system which is what I believe you are speaking of. The ignition key will have a chip made into it which has to be programmed to the vehicle if it has a lose of power it my prevent the car from starting.

mikehatch :

please let me know what you find. Thanks.

Customer:

this model does not have a chip in key this is a new key which we have been using 6 months new ignition and key

mikehatch :

ok , so I would recheck the repair that was done to check for a possible cause.

Customer:

we will check connections and if i need to chat again i will get back to you thanks you

mikehatch :

Thanks..

mikehatch, mechanic/technician
Experience: I have worked in the automotive industry for 32 years.
Please let me know how things turn out. I would be happy to assist you further should the problem be continued. Thanks again for asking your question.