Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

Saturn VUE: 2004 Vue. Half a tank of gas in car last night.

Customer Question

2004 Vue. Half a tank of gas in car last night. This morning car cranked but no start. Tank said empty. Put 3 gallons from can in car and still won't start, guage still shows empty.
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

good evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you tonight

Try spraying some carb cleaner into the air filter and see if it starts and dies. that will tell us if the pump is working

from your description, it may be electrical like a blown fuse or connections at the fuel pump unit since the sender is out as well.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, will have to do that tomorrow since it is night now and my wife has the other car.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, I will be here

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It tried to start when I hit it with starting fluid. I also tried changing out the fuse, that didn't do anything either. I might have to have it towed in and put on a computer.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
before thinking computer, I would check the fuses with a test light to verify power.

can you get to the connector under the car for the fuel pump.

Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I can look.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
ok, because we can do voltage checks back at the tank.

did you check the fuses with a test light??

Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, I don't have one of those. I can't really get back to it crawling under the car. The thing is parked on an incline so I am not inclined to jack up and crawl too much under it either. Something about the jacks stands giving way and dropping the car on me doesn't appeal to me. I do have a multimeter though.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

take a look at this. we can check for power at the fuel pump relay under the hood. remove the relay and turn the key on, there should be 1 12 volt hot wire in the 4 terminals.

once we determine this, we will check for the 2 second signal from the pcm .

Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I get 12 volts from the right lower of the four terminals where the relay is.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
ok,the other terminals go like this. one is a 2 second signal from the pcm when you turn on the key. you will need someone in the car to turn the key. the other will be a ground for the coil side of the relay. the last is the wire or load to the fuel pump.

can you feel the relay click when you turn the key on???

Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I can hear it more than feel it but yes.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
ok, good, chances are that you have a fuel pump module that has failed.

the sender and tank are 1 unit in the tank.

Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, that is probably out of my skillset, at least in my driveway. It sounds nicer than the body control unit though. You know my 77GMC is a lot easier to fight with. Thanks for the help though. I have someone that can fix that for me.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
good, it is tough when you have to drop the tank on the ground.

good luck and keep me updated

dont forget to hit the smiley button so I get credit for my answers

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks again. XXXXX dropped tanks before but on 1960s vintage vehicles, not on something this new.

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
yes, the days of simplicity are gone

Roy