DaveTheCarGuy
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.
75818362

prius: I have a toyota 2007 prius. I went out to start at

I have a toyota 2007 prius. I went out to start at lunch and check engine only light came on. I cut off and tried again and all boxes for drive, park neutral were flashing and all maintenance lights came on solid. I cut off again and only check engine light came on. Does this mean that the internal battery is dead or something else?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Do you have any way of checking the stored codes in the computer (scan tool or similar)? That is the best way to get us on the way to diagnosing. I ask for the code because the situation your describing can happen from several different circumstances. The most common is a dead or weak 12v ICE battery. Next most common is an internal fault with the Hybrid/Drive battery, and third most common is some rodents have chewed through part of your harness. I know it might seem odd, but rodents are attracted to hybrids for some reason. I believe it is the EMI (electromagnetic interference) but there have been no studies to prove that.

So my first suggestion to you (if the vehicle can be drive) is take it to the local auto parts store so they can read the codes for you and perform a test on the Standard Auto 12v battery in your vehicle.

When you can get back to me with the codes, we can dig further into your issue.

Thanks,
Dave