DaveTheCarGuy
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.
75818362

Cadillac Coupe Deville: 1991 Cadillac Coupe Deville (68,900

1991 Cadillac Coupe Deville (68,900 miles) security light blinking on dash, horn won't honk and battery, after recharge will drain within a couple days.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Security issues are common on these early 90's GM cars. The system uses the resistance of your key(the little black pellet in the key) to verify that the correct key is installed. Sadly the wires used for this are thin and tend to break, also he ignition switch can wear down and cause issue like this.

All that being said, the Horn and battery issue leads us down a different path. With the age of the car, I would start by checking all the ground connections for corrosion. Focus on the ones under the dash and at the battery as those will effect the security system the most. But bad grounds can cause issues all over the vehicle. After that, the shop (or you) will need to test the car-off current draw.

If you want to do the testing yourself, let me know and we can talk about how to run these tests at home (you will need basic hand tools and a multi-meter).

Thanks,
Dave