cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LS: Hey Dave,I recently

Hey Dave,

I recently had to drill my ignition switch out in my 2002 silverado 1500 and swap the key cylinder. Everything went fine except I shorted out something momentarily on the geared started switch harness. I didn't think this caused any problems, but then I noticed the next day while driving that my blinkers, cruise control, and turn signals don't work. I can't seem to find a blown fuse anywhere. I was wondering if you had any ideas of where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks for any information,

Derek
it sounds like you have a lose ground its a common mistake when replacing key cylinders go back and check to make sure you didn't knock one the ground wires lose
You gave me a poor rating but never responded to my advice it is my goal to make sure that you are satisfied if there is anything that i can do to help you with your problem please let me know
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience: was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't mean to do poor. I'll look into the wiring later today. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went through the wiring. The ground on the starter switch gear is soldered securely and has continuity to ground. I am not sure of what other area I need to test continuity to ground. Should I be testing at the back of the turn signal switch? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

If I remember correctly the cruise and turn signals are controlled by the same switch in these trucks, the cruise is the button on the turn signal switch if I remember correctly. If you think you shorted something out there's a good chance that you may have done some damage to the turn signal switch.

If you pull the covers off the steering column you should be able to get to the connector for the turn signal switch. Make sure that switch has good power coming in and a good ground. If those are ok then use a back probe or t-pin to make sure the switch is sending power to the turn signals/cruise control.