Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Volkswagen Tiguan S: I HAVE A 2009 TIGUAN 103TDI. HAS STALLING

I HAVE A 2009 TIGUAN 103TDI. HAS STALLING AND ROUGH ENGINE RUNNING ON A TRAILING THROTTLE, SEEMED LIKE IT WAS GASPING FOR FUEL. 1ST TRIP TO DEALER SERVICE - NO FAULT FOUND MUST BE DIRTY FUEL. INTERMITTENT PROBLEM FOR APPROX 2 YRS WE LEARNT TO LIVE WITH IT AND AT TIMES PULL OVER AND GIVE IT SOME REVES IN NEUTRAL. EXHAUST PROBLEM WARNING LIGHT CAME ON AND ANOTHER DEALER ANALYSED PROBLEM AS FAULTY SENSOR AND REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. WHILST THIS MADE IT LESS FREQUENT THE PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE. VEHICLE IS NOW OUT OF WARRANTY AND AT 77,000 KM THE EXHAUST PROBLEM LIGHT IS ON AGAIN. DEALER SAYS IT IS STICKING SHUTTERS IN INLET MANIFOLD. THE MANIFOLD NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AT COST OF $1,500-00. I THINK THEY HAVE FINALLY FOUND WHAT THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN ALL ALONG. DEALER SAYS THIS IS 1ST TIME THEY HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM. I THINK I NEED TO FIGHT WITH VW FOR IT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY - WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Sticking shutters/flaps in the intake will cause this issue as I have seen on some vehicles before.I would bring this issue up with the dealer (if this is the same dealer as before that looked into this issue and couldn't find the fault) and let them know you had it looked at and they couldn't find the fault.

They should have this documented in the first repair attempt they had done and this should be filed with your vehicles repair history.From there they should be able to contact their rep. or support and let them know this has been an on going issue that was just now located and warranty should cover this or at least help with a large part of the cost.

I don't know how well VW will work with you on this but I do know I have seen other companies cover the repair costs if it was already previously documented from a previous repair attempt.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, our VW dealer has arranged a free of charge Goodwill repair.

Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete