Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Subaru Liberty: Subaru Liberty sedan - 1996 year. 5 speed manual.Engin

Subaru Liberty sedan - 1996 year. 5 speed manual.
Engine simply cuts out whilst driving around town. Can be restarted easily enough with "clutching" whilst still travelling. Frequency seems to be completely random / intermittant. No warning lights on dash appear.
Possibly more common during gear change (inbetween gear 2-3 or 3-2 mostly), but not always the case.
Had recent tune-up - didn't fix problem.
changed battery / checked terminals - didn't fix
Do you have any suggestions ?
regards Rob
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible ignition fault and in some cases I have seen electronic ignition switch intermittent failure cause a type of fault like this here.

I would have the signals checked/tested out of the ignition switch when the vehicle is acting up (this may require a multi meter tester to be in line with the switch wiring to monitor it) to see if it is failing.

Even though no lights are coming on I would have the fault codes read out/checked to see if a fault is set.If a code has set this will aid with the diagnosis here.I have also seen vehicles that have crank position sensors to where this sensor will fail intermittently like this and cause a shut down.In some cases the vehicle can be restarted right away when this happens and in others it may need to sit a period of time before it restarts.

All of these need checked into to locate and correct the fault here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks pete. Not sure that I can access a multi meter to monitor the ignition signals. May just replace the ignition switch and see. Any quick tips on replacing the ignition switch ? Regards rob

It would be best to have this tested first to be sure this is the component at fault before replacing it.Since you do not have the tool to do this testing this is best done by someone that does.I would hate to see you replace the switch if it isn't at fault.

If you still want me to see if I can locate some instructions on this replacement let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok ta, I'll take the car to local mechanic. Regards

O.k.,let me know if you need anything else here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Pete. Actually when I said no dash lights coming on that was quite correct. The "engine" red dash light comes on after about 10-15 mins driving. Stays on for a while then may even go off again. Been doing this for months. Doesn't seem to worry anything within the vehicle but do you think this may be connected to engine cut-out ?

Yes,if your check engine or engine light is coming on with this issue here this can be related to the engine cut out.I would have the fault codes read out with a scan tool to see what codes have set,then it can be further diagnosed from there.

Thanks Pete