Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

subaru outback: I have a 1999 Subaru outback and my clutch

I have a 1999 Subaru outback and my clutch is going out. It will engage the transmission up to about 2000 RPM. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the clutch? If I have to replace the clutch how hard and how much should that cost me to do myself? Are any special tools required?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

About the only things you can do are check the slave/master operation and bleed the clutch... if that does not work then sadly as much as I wish there was another way, the only option is to preform a clutch replacement.

The most important part of replacement will be use an entire clutch pack including pressure plate and use the alignment tool, also check the flywheel for heat marks/damage and cracks and have it turned/replaced as needed. Any oil/grease should be cleaned before putting everything back together and remember to also replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing along with rear main seal visual inspection.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face/rating with poor/bad please instead reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The deposit you placed when you opened the question is only a deposit you can then click accept or one of the smile faces, but again only if you are satisfied and only when you are ready to do so. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,