Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.

My 92 Deville, 4.9, will not start. Cranks, has spark thru

Customer Question

My 92 Deville, 4.9, will not start. Cranks, has spark thru plug wires and even with gas poured directly into throttle body will not fire. Replaced, coil, ignition module, cam position sensor, dist cap and rotor and the front bank of plugs and wires. Cranks very strongly and after cranking a minute or more might backfire mildly once. Can smell gas under hood. What gives. Only trouble code is E52.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

First of all, what makes you think an engine would start on only 1/2 of the spark plugs firing? Did the spark plugs you pulled from the one bank smell like gas? If so, you should have replaced the other bank, too. That is where I would start since you do have spark and it won't even start with gas poured in. Plus, I would double-check the spark plugs you already installed, chances are they may be gas fouled already. Just clean off the gas on those with some carb cleaner, let them dry a few minutes and put them back in. Let me know if they did smell like gas and if the other bank does, too. See if it starts now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
If you disconnected the battery, that is why you got that E52, Electronic Control Module Memory Reset.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you but I knew that, and am assuming its unrelated to the problem.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, it should be.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All of the plug wires are showing spark. Pulled plugs from front bank. All smell faintly of gas. None are gas soaked and/or fouled. Grounded one to top of engine, that plug shows good strong spark. Bought car land when I went to pick it up, engine started first turn of the key. Drove it out of lPO driveway, stopped it to change license plates. When I ktried to restart I had to crank it aseveral minutes, like maybe 4 or 5 minutes and drove home badly a distance aof 2 to 3 miles. Started similarly hard once in driveway and second attempt in lkdriveway, NOTHING. Had huge backfire when first trying to start and split the rear muffler. Cat has been removed. Any chance of plugged exhaust somehow? Any chance of weak spark or jumped timing? How to check for either?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You asked, fairly snidely, what makes me think the engine would start with only 1/2 of the plugs firing. Where did I say only half were firing? I did say I had REPLACED only the front plugs and wires. Doesn't have anything to do with the rear bank firing. Given what I saw with the front plugs and the PITA replacing the rears I did not do the rears.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not answering. My guess is you don't have a clue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
All of the above plus "No Answer"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pleased opt out