Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Saturn sc1 coupe: I have a 97 sc1 coupe. Burns a quart every

I have a 97 sc1 coupe. Burns a quart every 1500 miles. Oil coming out of exhaust (just steam but it's there). 90k on this engine but car has 190k. Mileage has slowed down to about 28mpg from 38mpg. Head gasket? Also a/c replaced but freon continues to evaporate. Could it be related? Oh- check engine just came on. Runs well otherwise. Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome. My name isXXXXX 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles is not all that unusual. Most likely you have some oil getting past the rings and valve seals. You might try a heavier weight oil and see if it reduces the consumption. There are also some oil flushes out there that you can try that might clean up deposits in the oil control rings. I am not a big fan of the flushes but they have been known to help. If you are having no loss of coolant or overheating I don't think you have a head gasket problem.

Your loss of mileage is most likely going to be related to the check engine light. You will need to get the car scanned for fault codes in order to see why the light is on. A faulty sensor in the engine management system is the most common cause of poor mileage. There should be fault codes stored in the engine computer that will point to the specific sensor.

Your loss of a/c refrigerant is not related to the other problems. If you are continually having to recharge the system there is still a leak somewhere. Common areas are the evaporator and the service ports but the compressor, condenser, receiver drier and hoses are all possible leaks in the system. I would suggest having the system recharged with a leak tracing dye to help locate the leaks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.