Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Dodge Dakota: 98 V6 stalling. shop replaced crank sensor without

98 V6 stalling. shop replaced crank sensor without success. heard earlier models have a 4 wire splice under relay box that causes similar problem. does the 98 version have same splice. If not where should i go next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 9 months ago.
I did find a TSB that may apply, but I need to know the check engine light codes that are stored in order to confirm. Please list each one, thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

there check engine light was not on but P0320 was stored

P0320 - no crank reference signal at PCM

Ok, the TSB I was looking at does not apply. On this truck, the crank sensor is a 3 wire setup, w/ no splices involved. I would double check the connector at the sensor it self, and make sure the wires are not frayed or insulation has come anywhere between the sensor and the PCM. Also, pull the connector at the PCM and make sure there is no build up or corrosion there either.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What of the 4 wire splice located directly below the relay box. Does this year of Dakota have this feature.

Sorry it is a three (3) wire splice directly below the under hood fuse box. This sends power to the PCM, fuel pump and ignition. I am told that this splice can become corroded and fail connection. I know this is on earlier models of this motor. Is it on the 98 model as well?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
There is a three (3) wire splice directly below the under hood fuse box. These wires sends power to the PCM, fuel pump and ignition. I am told that this splice can become corroded and fail connection. I know this is on earlier models of this motor. Is it on the 98 model as well?

No common issues w/ this on your vehicle, and no TSB's that apply. If you do need any wire diagrams, I can help, I have access to Chrysler's online repair manuals.

See below for the PCM diagram. There is no junction for the fuel pump, and ignition switch - they are on different circuits

graphicgraphic

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the schematics. So, the truck has still not stalled again. Although it has posted another crank sensor code and an ignition code not sure which ones. Short of replacing the ECM what is the next step you would recommend.

I will need to look into the ignition code, if you can that, I will be happy to dive deeper, but on the crank sensor code, the only issue could be a faulty sensor (which you just replaced, so not likely) a faulty reluctor wheel (again, these don't really go bad, unless it is physically bent) or faulty wires - the most likely source of the problem, or of course the PCM, but we need to confirm everything else is good before condemning the PCM.
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.