Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

2003 Hyuandi Santa Fe 2.7 LX, 160,000 miles, automatic VIN:

Customer Question

2003 Hyuandi Santa Fe 2.7 LX, 160,000 miles, automatic
VIN: KM8SC13DX3U364214

Car will not pass California smog check due to DTC:
P0741
I found a TSB related to this issue:
TSB-09-AT-018
The car is not under warranty, will the dealer repair under the TSB?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

the dealer will perform the TSB for you but you will have to pay them to do so

the only thing the dealer has to fix for free would be any recalls

TBS are not recalls and unless the cars under warranty they will not do this for free im sorry to say

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you please provide repair directions and part number for repair? Thank you

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2013-10-21_005131_transaxle.docx

here is the repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Part of the repair procedure is cut off in the document, the table that is needed to see what action to take is unreadable on the right side.

Also I dont have the abilility to test each solenoid, so with the DTC code I have P0741, can you please help me to determine what part I am going to replace, thank you very much

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the harness is not shorted or damaged then replace the TCC as seen in the picture

if the harness is bad replace the harness

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i may be missing something, but to clarify, according to that chart you sent, if my hardness is not bad, I am supposed to "replace transaxle" because I only have one code?

Someone told me to try seafoam in ATF fluid to unstick parts, u heard of this?

Thanks

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

they want the harness inspected and if its bad replace it if its good replace the code sensor or solenoid which is the TCC

when it says for the 741 code see below they mean below the chart to step 6 NOT right below it in the chart for the code 742 ( line below it in the chart )

I agree the chart is very random and is very hard to follow

but the computer data must be monitored with the scan tool to see if the computer is listing any solenoids open or shorted

Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I doubt the harness is bad, in your opinion, would you just replace the TCC to see if that fixes problem? I will not hold you responsible, i am just looking for a good guess on a cheaper solution then going to dealer?

The part number is 46313-39051 correct...?

thank you

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes that is the correct solenoid

if it was mine yes I would replace the solenoid put it back together and see if the code and your issue goes away

most of the time they will

if the 741 is your ONLY code I find it hard to replace the transmission

if you had a bunch of the other codes I would be worried

BUT pay attention when you pull the transaxle pan see if you see a lot of debris or metal in the pan or the fluid

if you see metal,brass or aluminum it might be a good idea to put the cover back on and change the transaxle

is its very clean then move forward with the solenoid