EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

Volvo S60 T5: 2001 Volvo S60 T5.....consistently unable to

2001 Volvo S60 T5.....consistently unable to refuel without gas pump clicking off. No Codes illuminated.
Hi. The most common cause for your concern on the S60 is the shut-off valve for the carbon canister. The valve sometimes sticks closed, even though the computer is telling it to be open during fuel filling. It is possible as well, that the canister filter may be plugged not allowing the fuel vapors to escape the tank and to the atmosphere. The canister should be removed and the shut-off valve inspected for proper operation and the filter checked/replaced.
CLICK HERE for pdf of canister removal and shut-off valve and filter replacement

Please let me know if you need more info on this. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You state the "most common cause." Other possible causes?? Can you assist with part #s for this shut-off valve and filter?? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX getting there I think.

The cause is due to a restriction in the venting system of the tank. So the possible causes are the shut-off valve (which I have replaced the most of), the canister air filter, the canister itself, or if any of the venting lines have a blockage. I have seen spider webs cause a block in a vent line. But for all possible concerns the canister will have to come down and all the components will have to be inspected. The canister filter is OE part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN The shut-off valve I don't have a part number for. There are many variations of valve depending on vehicle VIN number.