K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Ford F-150: I have a 93 F-150. A couple years ago, the start

I have a '93 F-150. A couple years ago, the start position on the ignition switch quit working, so I installed a starter button using the cigarette lighter power (15 amps) to the button then on to the solenoid relay switch. a couple months ago, it started blowing relay switches after starting just a few times. What's up with that and what should I be looking for?
Hello, the first thing to check is that you are getting power to the "S" terminal on the solenoid when pushing the button. If there is no power there is a problem in the wiring from the button to the terminal wire or an issue with power to the button.
The next thing to check is that the solenoid is grounded to the vehicle sheet metal good. You may want to run a jumper wire from the metal base to the negative battery terminal to insure you have a good ground.
If both these things are done than you have a bad solenoid. Sometimes the cheaper solenoids will not last long. Perform the above test and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've already done all that; Motorcraft is the only solenoid I'll buy (and I've bought three of them). Let me ask you this: If your vehicle won't start at the steering column (the original problem), yet you can use a jumper wire at the solenoid to start, what would you suspect the problem to be???

It will either be a bad ignition switch or an open/short in the wire from the switch to the solenoid.
If you take a jumper from the positive battery terminal to the S terminal of the solenoid does the solenoid engage?