DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.

I bought a 2006 F150 with the 5.4 Triton v8. When driving it

I bought a 2006 F150 with the 5.4 Triton v8. When driving it home the check engine light came on. Autozone said the knock sensor was malfunctioning. Sometimes when i start it the gauges click back and forth for about 30 seconds and sometimes the clock is reset and the cd player cycles through cds fo a while. How important is the knock sensor and are the other things unrealted or a sign of trouble with the computer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping with your issues. It sounds like you have two issues that might be related.

The interior symptoms your having are usually related to a worn ignition switch. The other possibility is a weak battery that can still start the car, but has voltage issues when cranking and right after. Autozone will test your battery for free, so try that first.

The knock sensor code can be a few different things, a bad knock sensor, a bad ground, bad connections. Many times the connector at the knock sensor, or the engine ground is to blame for a knock sensor code. Many times the sensor itself is fine.

All that being said, if your car is still in the 30 day warranty you should definitely take it back in. Especially if these issues popped up in the first few days of driving. They shouldn't sell a car unless it is in good running order.