Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.

My GMC 2006 Savanna van Automatic transmission vin # XXXXX XXXXX

I need to know what model cruise control I need to purchase and is the one at correct for my van?

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

you need to buy a cruise lever assembly as seen in the link you sent and need to know if that's the correct one for your van ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is correct. I've only purchased a cruise control for a 1967 Dodge dart, magnets to the drive shaft etc. I'm sure you know the type, but they tell me that the one for my GMC Savanna is a whole different ball game, and by the looks of the cost, and all the different models and kits, it would be easy to make a mistake. That is why I sent the Vin # XXXXX hope you could tell me the correct one. Cost is not an object, but quality and being right is.

yes that is the correct switch for your van

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this easy or difficult to install. By the way, I'm very happy with this chat, as I have been looking at that particular switch over and over again, but was just not sure, so I truly appreciate your approval of the purchase.

Gary its a matter of removing the steering wheel and then the upper and lower plastic upper column covers to change it

1. Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in SIR.

1. Remove the steering wheel from the column.
  2. Remove the tilt lever from the lower trim cover.
  3. If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1, 2) from the lower trim cover (3). Remove the lower trim cover (3).If screws are not present in the lower trim cover, proceed to the next step.

1. Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.

1. Important: You must check for 1 pan head tapping screw (1) in the upper trim cover (2) before removal.

If necessary, remove 1 TORX� head screw (1) from the upper trim cover (2).If a screw is not present, remove the upper trim cover (2).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just screwed up and deleted the url I sent you for that part. Would you please send it to me. I can not find it in our chat. And can I keep this information you have sent me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, now looking at it I do not see any kind of a kit. I hope you understand, I am not replacing a switch, but installing a whole system. does what you are telling me mean that the system exists, but they put in a switch, in the current vehicle at manufacture, without connecting it to the cruise control system already in the vehicle?

ok this does not have cruise and you want to add cruise to it ?

I would have shop do this for you that does these kinds of changes as the computer will need to be reprogramed to tell it to operate with cruise control and the switch added and a few other things

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I save anything by buying the handle and the whole kit, and then having a shop install it?

I would call around to any local shops that do these kind of installs and get a price with them doing it all or you putting in the switch assembly and bringing it to them

see what they recommend Gary

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, well it looks like you just saved me a couple of hundred dollars if I had gone ahead and purchased the unit on line. I got a feeling though that the mark up at a shop is going to be considerable.

So I guess, I'll end with just my original question. Please tell me what kit you would recommend me to purchase, as the one I asked about seems to be only the handle.

lets get another opinion from another expert here on this

hang on another expert will replay back to you

I don't do much aftermarket or add ons

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, I can wait thanks

This is what I would suggest as it uses a factory switch so it looks nice and does not have the extra handle attached to the column.
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.