Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Chevrolet: This question is for a Range Rover expert. I need

This question is for a Range Rover expert. I need to remove the oil pan drain plug. The head is completely stripped off. I know that the bolt is made of steel, and the oil pan is aluminum. Can I weld a bolt onto the material remaining to remove the plug, and then replace it once it is removed, or does it need to be drilled out and removed with a bolt/screw extractor? Vehicle is a 2006 Range Rover Sport, 4.2L supercharged awd.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

As long as you have enough room to weld to the old plug you would be fine to do so, just be sure before you start welding to disconnect the battery cables so there is no electronics that can be damaged in the system. You can tack weld a nut and or a bolt and it should work .