Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

LAND ROVER LR3: I have and land rover LR3 2006. I was instructed

Customer Question

I have and land rover LR3 2006. I was instructed that I need to replace the U joint lower steering column. Can you assist me with instructions to complete this task.

thanks
Garnell
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

ARE YOU REPLACING IT BECAUSE OF NOISE OVER BUMPS?

Tim's Auto Repair :

are you there?

Customer :

No, because of difficulty turning. When turning it's "sticky". For example when I make a turn the steering will not turn back on its own. I need to use a little force. It feels like no power steering. I checked the power steering fluid and for leaks it is all ok.

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

to replace the u-joint..you need to replace the lower shaft

Tim's Auto Repair :

stand by

Tim's Auto Repair :

i may have instructions for this

Tim's Auto Repair :
Parts Information OEM Part # Price
Steering Shaft
7 - Upper Shaft
QLB500070 $84.82
8 - Lower Shaft
QMN500250 $119.86
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Replace Upper Shaft
B 0.0 2.9
Replace Lower Shaft
B 0.0 1.5
Tim's Auto Repair :

Steering Column Shaft

Sservice Repair No - 57.40.22

Removal
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

61_lr05lr3_21104-019a.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove the driver side closing trim panel.
^ Release the clip.
^ Remove the 2 screws.
^ Disconnect the electrical connector.

62_lr05lr3_21104-019b.png
Full Size Image

3. Disconnect the steering column intermediate shaft from the steering column.
^ Note the fitted position.
^ Remove the special bolt and discard the nut.

11_lr05lr3_21104-020a.png
Full Size Image

4. Disconnect the steering column intermediate shaft from the lower shaft.
^ Note the fitted position.
^ Remove and discard the bolt.
5. Remove the steering column intermediate shaft.
^ Release the 2 grommets.

64_lr05lr3_21104-020b.png
Full Size Image

6. NOTE: Do not disassemble further if the component is removed for access only.

NOTE: Note the fitted position.

Remove the 2 intermediate shaft grommets.

Installation
1. Install the steering column intermediate shaft.
^ Install the grommets.
2. Connect the steering column intermediate shaft to the lower shaft.
^ Tighten the new bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
3. Connect the steering column intermediate shaft to the steering column.
^ Install the special bolt and tighten the new nut to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.).
4. Install the driver side closing trim panel.
^ Connect the electrical connector.
^ Secure the clip.
^ Tighten the screws.
5. Connect the battery ground cable.

Tim's Auto Repair :

REPAIR PROCEDURE

INSPECT AND REPAIR STEERING SHAFT ASSEMBLY

41_LTB00097080505-003.jpg
Full Size Image

LR3 STEERING COLUMN AND I-SHAFT ASSEMBLY

NOTE:
All inspection and repair procedures must be completed before determining if an intermediate shaft should be replaced. Component references may be found in Figure 1.

1. Inspect the upper and lower intermediate shaft assembly as follows:

^ Inspect the upper intermediate shaft 'decoupler' assembly for excessive movement. (Arrowed in Figure 1 inset)

^ Inspect the upper intermediate shaft decoupler assembly and ensure the steel and rubber washers are correctly located. (Inset in Figure 1)

^ Verify that the fasteners joining the steering column universal joint to the upper intermediate shaft are tightened to *22 Nm (16 lbf-ft)*. (2 in Figure 1)

^ Inspect the joint between the upper intermediate shaft and lower intermediate shaft for any movement. (3 in Figure 1)

^ Inspect the joint between the lower intermediate shaft universal joint and steering gear for any movement. (4 in Figure 1)

^ Inspect the sliding mechanism of the lower intermediate shaft for any lateral 'play' or looseness. (5 in Figure 1)

2. If movement is discovered as quantified below, repair in sequence and as instructed:

^ If excessive movement exists in the upper intermediate shaft 'decoupler' assembly, replace the upper intermediate shaft (QLB500070).

^ If any of the decoupler assembly washers is incorrectly located, replace the upper intermediate shaft (QLB500070).

^ If any movement exists in the connection between the upper intermediate shaft and lower intermediate shaft, replace the retaining bolt (QYG10016L) and tighten to 30 Nm (22 lbf-ft). (3 in Figure 1)

^ If any movement exists in the connection between the lower intermediate shaft universal joint and steering gear, replace the retaining bolt (QYG000030) and tighten to 30 Nm (22 lbf-ft). (4 in Figure 1)

^ If any lateral 'play' or looseness exists in the sliding mechanism of the lower intermediate shaft, replace the lower intermediate shaft (QMN500250).

3. After replacing any components, ensure the integrity of the steering shaft assembly and fasteners.

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer : Need a little more help. Where do I access the lower shaft?
Tim's Auto Repair :

hi

Tim's Auto Repair :

the lower shaft is mounted to the steering gear

Tim's Auto Repair :

i will give you instructions on removing the steering gear

Tim's Auto Repair :

this will give you an idea of how to get to the lower shaft

Tim's Auto Repair :

Steering Gear - 4.OL

Service Repair No - 57.10.01

The content of this article reflects the changes identified in TSB - LTB00105

Removal

WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

02_lr05lr3_21102-024b.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove the radiator access panel.
^ Remove the 4 bolts.

86_lr05lr3_21102-025a.jpg
Full Size Image

3. Remove the front RH splash shield.
^ Remove the 4 clips.

87_lr05lr3_21102-025b.jpg
Full Size Image

4. Remove the front LH splash shield.
^ Remove the 4 clips.

03_lr05lr3_21102-025c.png
Full Size Image

NOTE: Make sure the steering is in the straight ahead position.

5. Release the universal joint from the steering gear.
^ Remove and discard the bolt.

43_lr05lr3_21102-026a.png
Full Size Image

NOTE: LH Illustration shown, RH similar

6. Release both tie-rod end ball joints.
^ Loosen the locknut.
^ Release both track rods from tie rod ends, note the number of turns for installation.

09_lr05lr3_21102-026b.png
Full Size Image

7. Disconnect the pressure lines from the power steering gear.
^ Remove the bolt.
^ Position an absorbent cloth to collect fluid spillage.
^ Remove and discard the O-ring seals.

10_lr05lr3_21102-026c.png
Full Size Image

8. Remove the steering gear high pressure line.
^ Remove the bolt.

12_lr05lr3_21102-027a.png
Full Size Image

9. Remove the steering gear.
^ Remove the 2 bolts and discard the cage nuts.
^ With assistance, carefully rotate and release the steering gear.

Installation
1. With assistance, install the steering gear.
^ Clean the component mating faces.
^ Tighten the bolts to 175 Nm (129 ft. lbs.).

NOTE: Do not install the support bracket bolt until the steering gear connections are tightened.

2. Install the steering gear high pressure line.

NOTE: Lubricate the seals with clean power steering fluid.

3. Connect the steering gear pressure lines.
^ Clean the component mating faces.
^ Install new O-ring seals.
4. Install the power steering line support bracket.
^ Tighten the bolt to 10 Nm (7 ft. lbs.).
5. Connect the tie-rod end ball joints.
^ Attach both tie rods to previously noted positions
^ Tighten the tie-rod locking nut.
6. Connect the universal joint to the steering gear.
^ Install new patchlock bolt and tighten to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
7. Install the radiator access panel.
^ Install the 4 bolts and tighten to 10 Nm (7 ft. lbs.).
8. Install the front LH splash shield.
9. Install the front RH splash shield.
10. Fill and bleed the power steering system.
11. Adjust the front wheel alignment.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Customer :

Service was great thanks.