Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Jaguar x type: 2003 x type v6 3 ltr automati

Recently bought a 2003 x type v6 3 ltr automatic 100,000 km (South Africa) My initial thoughts were stunning car and I set aside a budget too go through the car and correct wear and tear, firstly the rear brake disc and pads required changing, oil sump gasket, Half Moon Rubbers & Stabalizer Links, wheel balance and alinement multi v belt and a full comprensive service. Prior to booking it in to the garage a whining noise appeared and happened on acceleration noticable at 90k and became lounder the faster i went, lifting of the accelerator reduced the nosie my first thoughts were it sounded very much like a hydraulic powerpack whine, spoke to the garage and it was suggested that since I was going to carryout all this work I should concider having the prop bearing replaced so that was added to the list, subsiquently all the work is complete but I still have the whine?. Now I've read through all the forum threads and the problems seem to point to Transmission box, prop bearings, wheel bearings or diffs? anythoughts before I start down the long winding road of costly replacements. Cheers Garry

ps one more note is that the previous owner didn't tell me that he ran into a large pothole and I found this out when balancing the wheels  i had to have 3 rims repaired I was of the mind that the front left wheel bearing could be damaged in some way?

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible a wheel bearing is causing this but usually with a wheel bearing noise the noise may show up at certain speeds but will remain there with your foot on or off the accelerator pedal so most likely the wheel bearings are o.k.

I would have the vehicle put on a lift and ran in gear with someone using an automotive stethoscope to listen to all gear boxes to locate which one has the internal noise.With what you have described this may be an issue with the differential itself as these are most common to make the noise you have here.

If located to be internal in one of the gear boxes it will need removed and either replaced or taken apart for inspection and repair.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Thanks for the reply it's as I expected really I'm going to change all the wheel bearings just incase it's one of them but my guess is the diff

cheers Garry

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
Your welcome Garry.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete