Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Have VZ DUAL FUEL Commodore ( gas injection system) . Get strong

Have VZ DUAL FUEL Commodore ( gas injection system) . Get strong gas smell (passenger side of engine) immediately after ignition turned off, Even though hose clamps replaced!
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If your engine isn't running rough with this issue and you have no excess black smoke from the exhaust this sounds like an external leak on the engine itself causing this smell here.

I would inspect all fuel lines and any fuel injectors as well as fuel rail and see if any areas show a leak.In some cases you may not be able to visually see the leak and you may have to run your fingers across the fuel connections near the smell area to see if your fingers become wet with fuel.It only takes a very small leak to cause a smell like this.

If you do locate a leak the leak needs repaired to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mechanic apparently used soapy water spray but still could not find leak.Said he would just have to start replacing parts and could be expensive.Just sounded too unprofessional to me. Surely there is a better method of fault finding!

I apologize for the delay.

I don't recommend going with just replacing parts to locate this fault.The mechanic should be able to visually inspect each fuel component in the area of the smell and use his/her fingers to run across the components and connections to see if his/her fingers become wet with fuel.If the fingers are wet with fuel when this is done or if a leak is found visually then this is the leak needing corrected here.

If the mechanic insists on just replacing parts I would have another mechanic take a look at the leak to see if it can be located and then repaired.

Thanks Pete