Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Infiniti Q45: my son put the wrong key in the ignition and

Customer Question

my son put the wrong key in the ignition and it is stuck. Locksmith says to remove the entire ignition key shaft and take to him. I tried to remove entire shaft but it will not come out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases I have seen where the key cylinder housing has to be drilled out completely to remove the cylinder.In this case the housing and cylinder usually need replaced.I recommend removing the steering column if possibly making sure you keep the steering wheel straight at all times when removing and carrying around and take the whole column in to the lock smith so he/she can see if the cylinder can be removed without further damage.Most likely the cylinder will need re keyed or replaced to correct this after it is removed.

You might also see if the lock smith is willing to come out to the vehicle as some will do and this makes it easier to where the column doesn't need removed.

Let me know if you need anything else here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for answering, Pete. We already called a locksmith out and they told us to try to remove the shaft ourselves by drilling off the rivets but it won't come out. We might try calling other locksmiths or just have to break down and tow to the Infiniti dealership.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
Your welcome.It is unfortunate when this occurs as I have seen this done a few times before.In most cases (at least in my area) usually the lock smith would come out and correct this issue without you having to take anything apart.

I hope you can get this resolved with ease and if you need anything else let me know.Feel free to rate my help here when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The locksmith did come back out and removed the key shaft, took it to his shop and was able to remove the key. He came back out, put the key shaft back in and left. Now the heater and radio do not work. Suggestions?

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
Have you checked all fuses to see if any fuses had shorted out and need replaced?If not I would start with this to see if a fuse is found at fault as one may have shorted out during the repairs here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes -- we did that and all are good.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
Was any wiring disconnected or damaged at the electronic ignition switch when this repair was done.I have seen in some cases where the electronic ignition switch can become damaged during repairs like this and can cause this issue here.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

None that we can tell since we didn't see it when it was taken apart. Hopefully the locksmith has some integrity and will come back out today to take a look.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
I would have the lock smith re check the work to see what was done here.If these were not an issue before the repairs were done and all fuses are good this may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself or wiring from the switch and should be checked into.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Will do -- thanks for your help, Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
Your welcome.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete