Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Dodge Ram 1500 Van: Hi! I have sanded and primed my van and

Hi! I have sanded and primed my van and will using acrylic enamel for the top coat. My question is, can I use craft acrylics to hand paint designs on top of that ...and then clear coat it all? My idea is to have it look like a hippie van. Thank you so much for any advice you can give would be very much appreciated!
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

The craft acrylics will be compatible with the acrylic enamel top coat and clear coat. Normally you will not have any issues with wrinkling or lifting of the paint as long as it is cured properly before the application of the next coat. One thing to caution you about is the colorfastness of some of the craft acrylic paints. Most do not hold up well under direct sunlight and will fade even with a protective clearcoat. You may want to get an old fender and do a test panel before painting the whole van. Another option for you would be sign painters enamel like One Shot. It comes in many colors and can also be clear coated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ...never thought of sign painters enamel!

You are very welcome.