Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

i have a 95 eagle talon 2.0

Customer Question

i have a 95 eagle talon 2.0 non turbo with no spark power at fuel pum. i have replaced crank sensor and fuel pum relay. could it be the knock sensor. there is a dtc for knock sensor and when i erase it then crank it comes back
Category: Car
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! Are you ready to work on your vehicle’s issue now (may need scanner, voltmeter and other tools), or just seeking information at this time? Do you mean there is no spark at the spark plugs in addition to no power at the fuel pump?Have you checked injector pulse with a Noid light?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is no spark at plugs no power at coil no injector pulse no power at fuel pump no blown fuses ive replaced crank sensor and fuel pump relay
With ignition on, check for power at the Black/Red wire going into the ASD relay connector. If no power at ASD, check for power at the Red wire going into the back of the alternator. If there is power at the alternator, check for an open circuit in the Junction Connector below engine compartment relay box.
graphic
Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

there is power and ground at asd relay.

With ignition on, is there power at the Black/White and Red/Black wires going into the Fuel Pump Relay? If so, is there ground at White/Red wire?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

there is power and ground at the relay for fuelpump

In reading your original question, I was under the assumption that there was no power at the fuel pump? Is that still the case even though the relay has power and ground to it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i havnt dropped the fuel tank to get to the wires but when u turn the key on the pump doesnt turn on. i know the pump could be out but will kill the power to coils? i know a bad fuelpump relay will.

With ignition on, is there power at the Black/Red wire going into the coil connector? If no power, then there is an open circuit on the Black/Red wire between the Junction Connector below engine compartment relay box and the coil.
Let me know what you find.
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

where the wires go into the small junction box that has three flat plastic kind of fuses or relays there is no power there either.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have 95 eagle talon no power at coil no injector pulse fuel pump doesnt come on when key cycled. ive replaced crank sensor fuel pump relay traced the wires from coil to junction under relay box no power. i have also checked the wires in back of asd relay and fuel pump relay. both have power and ground. what kind of fuses or relays r those in the jucion for coil. there is three flat plastic one. two brown one green i think. could one be bad does orielys carry it?

Already Tried:
traced wires to junction under fuse block no power. changed fuel pump relay and crank senso back probed both fuel pump relay and asd relay both have power and ground and of coarse checked all fuses under dash and hood. have no way to check relays.

The fact that the ASD relay has power and ground, yet the coil has no power, has me stumped. I'm going to opt-out and re-open the question to see if another expert is familiar with this condition. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the question will be locked back to me. Best Regards.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes i still need help

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

Expert:  DaveTheCarGuy replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you sort this out. Do you have any power issues with other accessories, radio, A/C, interior lights. I ask because this sounds like an issue with your ignition switch. I know you said that you replaced you fuel pump relay, but have you checked to see if it is getting activated when you turn the key? Easiest way to check is with two people, one puts the key to the run position while the other listens to/feels the relay for the click. This can also be checked with a Volt meter. Pin 86 should have power and pin 85 should have ground with the key in the run position. With the key in the off position Pin 85 should loose ground. You can also bypass the relay if you think it is bad by linking the port from pin 87 to the port from pin 30.

Thanks,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

there is no other power issues. i ran a jumper at the asd relay and got power to coil pack but still not firing and still no fuel pump. i probably wont be able to check the relay till mon.

Ok, if jumping the ASD gave power to the coil, but turning the key did not give power to the coil, the either the key is not triggering the ASD (bad ignition switch), the ASD itself is bad, or you have a post ASD wiring issue. Ignition switch is a common failure on older cars.

Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ive put a asd relay used on it still the same. why when i jump asd the plugs still dont fire.how do i go about checking the ignition switch. i checked for power and ground at fuel pump it has both so obviously the pum is bad is that killing my power to my coil?

Have you checked the MPI relay? It is the gold box under the dashboard. Passenger side near the center console. This is one of the three relays that controls the fuel pump (Along with the ASD, and fuel pump relay). Here is a pic:

Next step would be to check the ECU for blown/ leaking capacitors (almost common failure on DSM's like yours.

Dave

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

theres no gold relay like the picture u sent me. there is no pwer at all at fuel pump.

the ecu is oily looking. i pulled the rubber seal out and its oily under there

I thought the original statement said turbo, now that I read it again, I realize you have a non-turbo. That is my fault, the gold relay is turbo model only. I apologize for that, I should have caught it. But, on the upside, it is one less component for us to have to look into.

Oily inside of the connector for the ECU or the ECU itself? If it's oily inside then we do have a problem there. That pocket that the ECU sits in can fill up with debris and liquid which can fry an ECU. Luckily it sounds like yours is not fried, but has some connection issues. So before we go replacing the ECU, Unhook the connectors, remove the ECU. Then clean all the connections on the wire side and the ECU side, and then whole area. Reconnect, then try and see if the pump and coils will fire. Let me know how it goes, so we can dig further.

Thanks,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

if this helps i can run u jumper on the fuel pump relay and get the pump to kick on but its constant. the pump doesnt shut off.

Good, that means that the pump and wiring for it works. The ECU grounds the other side of the relay allowing it to engage and send power to the pump. Since the wiring works, and the relay is OK, we will now look at what switches the relay. This is looking more and more like an issue with the ECU or it's wiring. The more I look into ECU's on your car, the more I see it as a common fail. But, like I said, lets ensure the wiring is good before we try to replace the ECU. If you feel up to the task, you can open the ECU once it is out and look for swollen or leaking capacitors.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Bruce,

Have you had a chance to look into the ECU?

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Bruce,

Just checking back in to see if you've had a chance to work on the vehicle?

Thanks,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Im still waiting on a computer to come in at chrysler. did research and somebody had put the wrong ecu in it. as soon as i get the ecu which shoul be in the next 2 or 3 days

Hi Bruce,

Wrong ECU would cause some major problems for sure. Let me know how it goes. If it does solve your issue, remember to rate my answer, if not, let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok thanks sorry didnt let you know sooner. not my car its a friends.

OK, no big deal.
Hi Bruce,

Have you received the replacement ECU and/or had a chance to install it?

Thanks,
Dave