DaveTheCarGuy
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.
75818362

Plymouth Gran Voyager SE: I have a 98 Gran Voyager SE. I

I have a '98 Gran Voyager SE. I came out today, pushed the button on my key fob, got in the vehicle and tried to start it--like I always do, and nothing happened. I ended up having it towed to a mechanic who ruled out any battery, alternator, starter, ignition, or fuel problems. He believes the antitheft system was tripped, and that's what preventing the vehicle from starting. Have you heard of this happening, and how do I reset it so I can get on the road again? The vehicle has sat in the garage for several weeks while I recovered from a leg injury.
Category: Car
Expert:  DaveTheCarGuy replied 10 months ago.

DaveTheCarGuy :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your issue.

DaveTheCarGuy :

Do you know if the Gauges or instrument cluster are working when you try to start the vehicle?

DaveTheCarGuy :

I ask this because the gauge cluster is a common failure on these vehicles, and when it goes out, the computer cannot tell what gear you are in. This causes the computer to not allow you to start the vehicle. Normally the failure is at the connection to the gauge cluster and wiggling the connector will allow the vehicle to start.

DaveTheCarGuy :

Try that and let me know how it goes

DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience: AAS in Automotive Technology.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

As it turned out, it was a loose connection to the battery cable. Your advice, however, was very helpful, because it got them off of a false rabbit trail.

I'm glad your issue is resolved. Come on back if you have any other questions.

Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanx! I guess it was a combination of a loose battery cable and a discharged battery (came to find out that an interior light was on all those weeks!). Anyway, got the cable fixed, and dropped in a new battery as the old wasn't holding a charge, and now everything's fine.

As I said, I stopped the mechanic from chasing a false rabbit trail in any case.

Thanks a lot!