Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Volkswagen Passat 4 Motion: I rear-ended a car in my 2004

I rear-ended a car in my 2004 VW PASSAT. It was a low impact crash and the air bags did not deploy and i drove the car out of the tunnel where the crash occurred.

The non-VW mechanic has declared it is a write off ie unfixable. As such i thought it worth while to seek a second opinion.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Even with the air bags not deploying on this vehicle if the body or frame/sub frame of the vehicle is damaged to the point where the repair will cost more then what the vehicle is worth this would make it unfixable to an insurance company.If the company can pay out what the car is worth and is cheaper then the cost of repair this is usually why this is done like this here.

If this is the case with your vehicle here I suspect there is enough damage to where it would cost more then the value of the vehicle to repair it.

If you suspect this is not the case and the mechanic/shop is incorrect you can also have another shop or dealer inspect the vehicle to see what they think or what kind of estimate they come up with for repair to see if it is worth repairing.

On some vehicles if the body is damaged to the point it cannot be repaired (in example if it had twisted somewhat from the impact) then this would make it unfixable as well.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete