Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

honda s 2000: 2007 Honda SR2000 has 75000 miles. a couple

2007 Honda SR2000 has 75000 miles. a couple of times it stopped running while driving and finally stopped running. can not start. There is fuel in the engine no check engine lights before it stopped except for O2 sensor. where do I start looking. Crank Sensor, cam sensor Help!
What happens when you turn the key? Does the engine crank at all? Have you tried to jump the battery? Usually, when a vehicle just dies while running, the alternator is the source of the issue. If you can get the vehicle jumped, take it to a shop and have the battery and alternator tested. If both test good, we can dig into it some more. Also, scan the system again and let me know all codes stored.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine cranks. but will not start. Tried jumping and still no ignition. Battery is holding a charge. Is there a separate winding on the alternator for the ignition system? There was no indication that the charging system was not working. No dimming lights, heater fan slowdown etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The onl.y code I found was P0138 o2 sensor circuit high voltage, Bank1 sensor 2 , p2270 O2 sensor signial stuck lean,Bank 1 Sensor 2. Those are the codes

OK, so if the engine just cranks, it sounds like you have a fuel issue. Start by checking the fuel pump fuse, if it is good, turn the key to run, but not start and you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime itself - it will make a "hum" sound for about 2 seconds. If you can't hear it, have a buddy put his ear up to the fuel filer neck w/ the cap off and do it again, and if you still can't hear the fuel pump prime, then you either have a bad fuel pump or an electrical issue in the fuel pump circuit. If that is the case, let me know, and I can explain how to test the fuel pump circuit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I pulled the plugs they were wet with fuel. If they were not wet I would agree. Tell me further why you think it is the fuel pump? did I miss something here?

Just because the plugs are wet, does not verify the pump is putting out the correct fuel pressure. It is rated at 55 psi when cranking, if it is only putting out say 10 psi, then the fuel is flowing, but that is not enough to overcome the compression and actually start the engine. One source of low fuel pressure is a clogged fuel filter (strainer at the pump on this vehicle) another could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. You need to confirm the pump is priming 1st, then if it is, you need to test the fuel pressure and confirm it is between 55 and 63 psi.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, that makes sense. My first thought was crank position sensor. I will not be able to verify the fuel pump issue until tonight. Will confirm and let you know if I need further help.Thanks

crank position sensor absolutely a possibility, however, if the PCM is not getting a reading from it, that would set a check engine light code, so I don't think that is the issue, but check the connector to make sure it is tight just in case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No code until I actually unplugged the sensor then got a code. I will have new one tonight as I ordered it yesterday. will let you know the results. I am clicking on the rating now so you get paid. If I need further assistance I will contact you again tomorrow. thanks for the help.

ok, please do let me know the outcome and I can assist further
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still didn't start last night will be working on it again tonight. Have several things along getting a gage to check fuel line pressure. Pump runs and at key on then stops as pressure is built up.

When you check it tonight, disconnect the battery neg. terminal for approx. 3 minutes, this will clear out all memory. Reconnect, and try starting again, and let me know what happens then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just an update. My son are working on this car so some of my answers take longer to reply to. WE found the nut on the end of the intake cam shaft loose and upon further inspection found the cam not turning when turning over by hand. It appears the key broke. Not sure why and when cranking the engine there was no mechanical noise so I don't think the valves are damaged or the pistons. Will know better when we put in a new key. Was there a TSB about this?

No TSB's pertaining to anything mechanical or internal to the engine / head. Do let me know if you need any assistance w/ the procedure. I have access to All Data
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is what we found. The cap nut that holds the gear to the shoulder on the intake cam shaft has loosened about 2 turns. (hand turnable) This was enough to allow an alternative path for the oil that runs through the cam shaft to lubricate bearings 2,3,5 to starve and self destruct. bearings 1 where the oil comes in is okay and 5 is okay. There is transfer of bearing material to the cam but I think we can emery the aluminum off. The bearing blocks are not available from Honda or anyone for that matter. We were told by the dealer that the only avenue here is a new head with all the valves and rockers included. On the cap nut on the intake camshaft it appears that it was not torqued properly when the engine was built as there is no markings indicating that it has been tampered with. At this point we are contacting Honda USA to see what they can do. There are some other cases of this happening in Honda S2000's only. This cam shaft turns in a counter clockwise rotation so every time the engine started the inertia of the gear turning the cam was in the direction to loosen the cap. (bad design) That is why I asked about TSB's.. Everything else in the engine is clean. The timing gears, chain tensioner etc. are all good the exhaust cam shows no wear to speak of and it rotates clockwise so the nut never sees that inertia force. If you know of any avenues for us to follow for please advise. Thanks

That is a bummer for sure. I did find some contacts for Honda USA:

toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009

Fax (310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

- If Honda, does not want to assist, you could remove the head and send it out to a machine shop and have it rebuilt vs. getting it replaced. Personally, I would prefer this option for cost savings vs. replacing the assembly, AND you can throw in some performance parts into the mix if so desired.