Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

car has trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd gears

car has trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd gears - at lights sometimes total loss of power trying to get it going when light turns green (this is a 2007 CX-9 with 106k miles)

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light coming on?

How does the transmission fluid look?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no check engine light, the transmission fluid level should be ok, too. i bought this car used about 2 months ago and didn't notice any problems. when I purchased it I asked them (based on an independent mechanic review) to change the spark plugs. they ordered the parts and asked me to come back once they were in, and this appointment happened a couple of weeks after the purchase. it MAY have been after this "service" that I first noticed the issue - only happened once. then, in driving it hard last weekend, about 2 or 3 weeks later, on a long road trip, it really started acting up. i had the oil changed this week and they checked all the fluids. the day after it was acting up again. if the problem is linked at all to the transmission fluid, maybe it's that the wrong fluid was used? it's unlikely that there is a leak that is causing the problem, because, like I said, it has been checked twice in the last month - both by the dealer and the oil change place.

Ok. I am also a warranty inspector for extended warranty companies and I have inspected these transmission often. The problem that you are describing is the consistent with the valve body inside of the transmission and causing a pressure loss. This is a common problem with these that will occur without warning. What I would suggest as a first step is to have the vehicle hooked to a transmission scan tool and the vehicle test driven to monitor the pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did buy an extended warranty for the powertrain only. Do you know if this is the problem if this is something typically covered (I realize that this may be outside the scope but figured I'd ask). Also, any idea why it would have worked fine for a month and then started doing this? Is there any link in your view to my sister driving 80 mph for about 5 hours and it acting up especially badly? Ha ha. Thank you.

This is a coveted item under most contracts and it's hard to say why it drive fine for a month but the valve body can be fine one day and not the next, I believe your sister driving it like this was just a coincidence that it happened now. Lol. Thank you.
Let me know if you need further assistance and you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive, thank you.