sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Hi, I have a territory sx 2095 a problem has arised with ignition

Hi, I have a territory sx 2005 a problem has arised with ignition switch, when i turn it to normal it can go straight to start and stay there. the radio, heater, windows etc, wont work, until I move the key back to the on position if I turn the key back to far it easily goes to the off. and turns the engine off, . Ken.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

With these symptoms it appears that you have a failure of the ignition switch. It's not uncommon to have bad contacts in the switch that don't make contact unless you move the key forward or backward a bit and then it will work. If you are having consistently positive results with getting everything to work by moving the key back then the problem is going to be in the switch itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for the reply, there is nothing wrong with contacts, it seems if the spring that returns the from start back to the on position may be broken, I have to move it back by hand. I changed the battery in the key pad recently and am wondering if I need to reprogram the key pad. Ken

The spring is an internal part of the ignition switch. Unless there is a physical binding and you have to forcefully turn the key back then the problem would still be in the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have since found out if the spring is broken I have to replace the steering column as the spring is in a sealed unit. A new column is quite expensive so mite just leave it as is for now, thanks for your help. Ken