C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

suzuki forenza: 2005 forenza check engine light came on with

2005 forenza check engine light came on with one code when taken to shop they hooked it up and the computer was saying that the engine at idle was running at 8000 RPMs and the temperature outside was -40 degrees and the air intake was at -7 degrees. what is wrong do I need a new computer or what???
Do you know the code number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the codes that came up were P2279 and P0507

Can you hear a hissing noise like a vacuum leak under the hood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I didn't

On this vehicle because it uses speed density which is taking the air coming into the manifold absolute pressure sensor which in turn run's the vehicle's tuning ect. If there is a vacuum leak it will cause both of the codes. Not always is the noise easy to hear or find without a few trick's. There is a known issue with the breather tube on this vehicle. Over the course of a few years it can develope a hole in the tube which in turn will begin a vaccum leak throwing off the system. I would replace the breather tube. If the problem is still in existance verify there are no vaccuum leaks. I do this by using some brake or carb cleaner. With the engine running you spray the fluid around the vaccuum lines, intake manifolds. If you notice a change in the idle speed while doing this you indeed have a vacuum leak. Repair as necessary. If this method does not locate the leak you will need a shop with a smoke machine and scan tool. Have them check the freeze frame data and look at what the scan data shows for engine speed etc, for when the codes set. Then clear codes and see if the idle speed is normal after replacing the breather hose. If there is still a problem after replacing the breather hose, check for more vacuum leaks. Use a smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks. I have included the information on the codes but know the above is most common since it set both codes.

P0507 Idle Speed Control System Higher Than Expected Possible Causes Setting Conditions Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold) Check for air leaks in the PCV system and in its related hoses and/or valve Fuel system too rich or too lean IAC valve connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture) IAC control circuit is open (intermittent fault) IAC valve high circuit(s) open or shorted to ground IAC valve low circuit(s) open or shorted to ground Throttle plate is carbon fouled (it may need to be cleaned) Overweight engine oil ECM has failed

P2279 Intake Air System Leak Possible Causes Setting Conditions Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system Check for air leaks in the intake gaskets Check for air leaks in the EGR valve area and gaskets

Let me know if you have any question's, thanks.