Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Audi A6: Hi, my 01 A6 C5 tiptronic has been feeling like an

Hi, my 01 A6 C5 tiptronic has been feeling like an engine misfire at low speeds until warm. Time has shown the transmission up and the fault has developed to the point where it's obviously the transmission. Yesterday after travelling in grid lock traffic conditions the xmsn dropped in and out a lot, slipped in low gear and even locked up at an intersection and stalled engine. Today it has improved a lot. It feels to me like a lock up solenoid problem or related wiring or control module. No evidence of water leak on carpet but not lifted to look closer get.
Would a tcc issue cause sudden erratic operation like this ? I am getting the xmsn serviced and ATF changed. I am considering having the tcc solenoid replaced. I have not had the codes read. The dash is picelated so not easy to see what the gear selection is doing. Do you have any suggestions ?
By the way, when the engine wanted to load up and stall I selected neutral until I wanted to move off. Once mobile the transmission seemed to select all gears ok
Does not appear limp moded.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible TCC fault or possible torque converter or internal mechanical issue.If you can place the transmission in neutral or park when this occurs and the engine runs and revs up properly except for when it is in gear this sounds to be the case here.In some cases having the fluid changed out or flushed will help with correcting this fault as this will free up and remove the debris from the transmission.In other cases this may not work.

I would have the fault codes read out to see what codes have set.From there it can be diagnosed further to locate which component is causing this here then repaired from there to correct the fault.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pete, sorry iv been away and only just accessed the emails. The transmission is definitely faulty but the extent is to be determined. I have booked the car into a transmission specialist who take over the diagnosis and advise me.
While it is a tcc fault the clutch plate is usually in bad shape and condemns the t converter.
I am a to updating a bill between NZD2500 and 4500.
Thank you.
I am happy to accept your answer for you to be paid. I hope the deposit is still there.
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above when your ready.

Thanks Pete