Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Occasionally when shifting from park to reverse it will shift

Customer Question

Occasionally when shifting from park to reverse it will shift really hard making a large bang or clunking noise. At this point the engine light comes on and the engine goes into limp mode. Is this a sensor problem or transmission control module? I have a cheap code reader that shows circuit B PRNDL If I erase codes it goes away and comes back a few days later.
Would you know the solution to this problem? I am an electrician and have wiring diagrams because I do not have index to understand the components.

Vince Logue
Submitted: 3 years ago via
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw you question

Based upon the symptoms and what your code reader states, I suspect the transmission range switch(sensor) is failing.

To confirm this or if a wiring issue, I need to know the year, make, model and engine size of your vehicle, as well as the exact fault code number
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Further info that may help us out is as follows;

The gear selector stick will not interlock into park and stay by itself. You have to hold it in this position with your hand and with the other hand turn the key off otherwise the car will not shut off and the key will not release, Normally after the car has been started, when you step on the brake it automatically pops out of this interlock position so that the operator may select the required gear. I assume this is a safety feature. The engine size is a 2.5 litre dual overhead cam straight 6 model 2006 LTZ epica. As far as the code is concerned, I just have a cheap scanner and the only thing it shows me in text is circuit B with the letters PNRDL after. Could you give me the code for the sensor and the transmission control model? I will probably buy a better scanner.

Hope this helps

Vince Logue

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

There are 2 codes for this, P0705 and P0706

once i know which of the 2, I can upload diagnostic testing procedure