DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.

Land Rover Range Rover: the procedure of replace the spark

Customer Question

the procedure of replace the spark plug and the fan belt for a 2010 range rover sport
Category: Car
Expert:  DaveTheCarGuy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank you for using

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Lets start with the fan belt. Modern cars usually use electronic fans, so the belt will be called an Accessory belt when you go get it from the parts store. To replace it, start by removing the plastic covers so you can see the front of the engine and the belt. Take note of how it is routed because you will need to duplicate it when you put the new belt in. There is an automatic belt tensioner that you must locate. Using a belt tensioner tool, or a long handled wrench hold the tensioner loose and slip the belt off of the closest pulley(it doesn't matter which you remove the belt from as the belt can easily be removed once it is loose from any pulley). Gently release the tension you are applying to the tensioner until it hits it's resting point/max travel point. Remove the old belt. Route the new belt in making sure to match the original belt routing. Re-apply force to the tensioner to allow you to put the belt on fully. Once the belt is on its correct path, gently release the force you are holding on the tensioner and it will apply the tension to the belt. Verify that the belt is fully on all the pulleys and you are good to go.

Now on to the spark plugs. The Range Rover Sport uses a system called DIS (distributor less ignition) and COP (Coil on Plug). That means that you do not have spark plug wires, just he coil mounted directly over your plugs. To change your plugs, remove the plastic engine cover. You will see 4 black plastic boxes on each valve cover. They should each be held down with one bolt. The replacement procedure is the same for all 8 plugs: Unbolt the ignition coil. Gently pull up on the coil to release it from the plug (might take a little force). Once the coil is detached just rest it on the valve cover next to your work. Some people find it easier to disconnect the wires from the coil prior to removing it. If you look down the hole you will now see your spark plug. Using a spark plug socket (very important as a normal socket can damage the plug) and an extension (8" or longer) use your ratchet to remove the spark plug. It is threaded in just like a bolt. If you are using Iridium plugs( the OEM recommended ones), you do not need to set the gap on the new plugs. Just remove them from the box, put the plug in the spark plug socket (the rubber should hold it for this next part). Gently lower the plug on the socket with the extension into the spark plug hole. Gently start threading the plug in by hand. NEVER start it with the tool. Once you have the plug started threading, you can switch to the ratchet for tightening. Final torque on the spare plug in your vehicle should be 15 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench to do the final tightening. If a torque wrench is not available, refer to the box of your spark plugs for final tightening directions. After the plug is in, put the coil back onto the plug. Press down on the coil to get it to seat. You should feel and hear a slight "click" when the coil is seated. Re-install the coil retaining bolt and re-attach the wire harness if you detached it. Repeat this for the other 7 spark plugs then re-install the plastic engine cover(s).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. Don't forget to rate my answer(s) : )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know all of this I want to know how to get asest to the spark plugs and the fan belt

I open the hood and I don't know where to start can you send me a diagram or a guide how to get assest to spark plug and the fan belt

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

here is a picture I open the plastic cover and and there is nothing what you said where to start or gain acces to te fan belt or spark plugs

Hello, The belt is directly under your air intake on the front of the motor. You will need to remove the intake ducting. Since you didnt list which motor you had, I had to guess which and the ducting must be different on your motor than the one I looked at. Once you remove that section of ducting over the motor you should be able to see the spark plug coils better as well. Thanks, Dave