DaveTheCarGuy
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.
75818362

Volkswagen Passat GLS: 2003 Passat v6 2.8 without 4 motion.

2003 Passat v6 2.8 without 4 motion. Idles fine and starts normal. 1st and second shift normal 3-5 the rpms go up and down by 200 rpms constantly like it is shifting buts really not. Cruising at a steady speed it still does little micro shifting it feels like up and down 200 rpms. Letting off the accelerator or coming to a stop it will stop doing it. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  DaveTheCarGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm gonna try and help you with your issue today. The issue you are having is your Torque Converter Clutch(TCC) locking and unlocking. This lock/unlock can feel like a very slight gear shift as it is matching the engine's speed to the transmission's speed. This can be caused by:

- Low Trans fluid
- Worn out Torque converter clutch plates
- Worn out TCC control solenoid
- Worn or weak transmission fluid pump

So lets start with the easiest, Check you transmission fluid level. To do this, park your car on a level surface. Pop the hood(leaving the engine running) Locate your transmission dipstick. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a paper towel. Fully re-insert the dip stick then remove it one more time. You can now read the markings on it Just look at the part of the dipstick that is fully coated in trans fluid and that is your level. If it comes out dry then you are low.

If you transmission fluid is full, you will need to seek the help of a local transmission shop to diagnose and repair your TCC issue.

Thanks,
Dave
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience: AAS in Automotive Technology.
Hello Michael,

Have you had any luck getting your TCC issue repaired?

Thanks,
Dave