Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Mazda maxda6 classic: I have a 2007 Mazda6 Classic hatch -

I have a 2007 Mazda6 Classic hatch - low suspension and low profile tires standard - driven exclusively on bitumen roads. I have just found out that both the lower control arm ball joint rubber boots have split in two and will need replacement. Is this normal or has Mazda had a quality control problem with these boots. My argument is that there is a reasonable expectation that both of them should not have failed within 5 and a half years - suggesting poor durability and they should be replaced by Mazda at their cost. Has there been any history of these boots failing prematurely?

Hello and thank you for your question,

Unfortunately yes this is a common concern with both boots failing and most likely caused by poor quality rubber being used during manufacturing. Unfortunately Mazda so far is not doing anything about there design, about the only thing you can do is complain to your Mazda dealer and see if they will help you with the cost of this repair. Its understandable your up set but remember we don't work for Mazda but only on them. So please don't kill the messenger.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that but do you have any comparative and definitive details ie rather than saying it is a common concern - do you have any hard data that would support your statement. For instance, do you have any data that clearly indicates the boot failure in Mazda6's occurs more often than in other vehicles using the same lower control arm ball joints. Or is there a web site or forum where Mazda6 owners have clearly indicated their dissatisfaction with the boots failing within the same time period ie within 6 years. Many thanks.

No, unfortunately Mazda isn't going to admit there is a problem, I am only speaking from having worked on Mazda for the last 20 years. The boot failure happens on most cars including Ford, its not exclusive to just Mazda. There have been many unhappy customer that have expressed there dissatisfaction with Mazda in many ways. We don't represent Mazda, we just work on then as well as many other Brands.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that again. Is there a website or forum site where Mazda owners have voiced their dissatisfaction or concern - so I can see - and printout - their complaints?

Unfortunately there may very well be but I can only address issues that come up on this site.
Hello again Ron here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Thanks Ron