Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

Ram 2500: 96 Ram 2500 8L V-10. Out of the blue wont start.

96 Ram 2500 8L V-10. Out of the blue won't start. Turns over, sputters, dies. Repeat. No response to a depressed throttle.
Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Let me first ask, Have you checked fuel pressure yet? What happens if you spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the air intake? does it run then? My guess is that if it's sputtering, then it has fire, and your lacking fuel. Grab a fuel pressure gauge, there is a valve on the fuel rail that looks like a valve you put air in a tire with. Screw your fuel pressure gauge onto that valve, and turn key on, should have around 40 psi with Key ON Engine OFF. We need to rule that out or know it's the problem. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thx Eddie,

I will test by spraying a combustible into intake, just haven't yet. I have a hunch that it will fire due to the sputtering mentioned earlier. Later in the afternoon, I tried cranking it over. The engine cranked normally but no fire, like no more residual fuel available. I did go out and rent a fuel pressure gauge but it was too late (dark) to run a test. I will do so in the AM and report back here with the results. Thanks for the reply, talk to you soon.

Alright sounds good, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ran a fuel pressure test and it showed 0 PSI with the key in the ON position. Tried to spray carb cleaner/ crank motor by myself with no results. I will try and find an assistant for another attempt tomorrow.

Alright Duane, I know this is hard unless the gauge hose is pretty long, but, what about when cranking the engine? any fuel pressure then? It should be 40 psi key on engine off, BUT, sometimes the check valve will go bad in the pump. Also, the pump only runs 2 to 3 seconds with key on engine off to prime the system. So check it while cranking if you can. The pump runs all the time when cranking once the ECM see's spark to the plugs,

My first thoughts are it is the fuel pump, which is located in the tank. However, you need to get a 12 volt test light and get somebody to crank the engine to check for power to the pump while cranking to determine if the pump has power. If it has power and you have 0 psi when cranking, then I would replace the pump and fuel filter.