Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Isuzu Trooper: I would like to increase my low to mid range

I would like to increase my low to mid range power on my 86 Trooper. Turbo Diesel.
I think the turbo is a Garrett A5 ? It doesn't spool til 2500 rpm. I would like it to spool about 1400 rpm and kick in about 10-15 # XXXXX boost up to about 2500 rpm.

Is this possible? Do I need to put on bigger exhaust? Any other considerations?

Can I modify my stock turbo with new fins?
Hello

there are a few things to can do / check before launching into a new turbo

you're right in saying that a more free flowing exhaust will help spool the turbo up quicker and its also worth checking that the air filter isn't blocked and check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost

also check that the wastegate spring / preload is correct as if the wastegate is opening earlier than it should this will also increase the time to boost