sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jeepp Grand Cherokee Laredo: Hi I have a problem with the

Hi
I have a problem with the central lock system on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996 model
it is starting to operate by it self , do you know what could cause this fault , I have ordred a new main opreting panel for the driver door but even after I have dismanteled this unit the other doors start clicking

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This could be a body control module, wiring or relay problem but most likely it is being caused by a bad disarm switch.

On the back of the lock cylinders on the front doors and liftgate there is a microswitch that is wired to the BCM. When you lock or unlock a door with the key it will arm and disarm factory security but it is also used for central locking functions.

It isn't uncommon for these switches to start sending signals when you aren't actually turning the key, often result of moisture intrusion in the switch. What I would recommend is unplugging these switches one at a time and see if the problem goes away, if so then you've found the bad switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so these microswitches is only in the front doors ? what abouth the back doors because this is a 5 door car and that is where it starts clicking the most of the time,I ordered a new one for the driver side
The switches are only on the doors with lock cylinders, they're mounted to the back of the cylinders. It would be best to unplug them one at a time and see if the problem goes away before spending money on replacements.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried the passenger side lock today and it was not working so I guess that must be the cause for the problems
If it won't work from the passenger side then that's definitely suspect.