scottyz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE tech, Ford senior master tech

ford f250: hi i have 2001 ford f250 superduty diesel automatic.

hi i have 2001 ford f250 superduty diesel automatic. problem is it won't shift out of 1st unless you let up on accelurator pedal. the overdrive button flashes and when you going and accelurate the kick down acts like its shifting into neutral and the motor just revs. thxs jerry
Hi, Perhaps I can help you with this problem.Am I to understand that you have replaced the transmission and it still doesn't upshift?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats correct. acts the same as it did before i replaced the trans

Thanks for the reply . Given that the overdrive light is flashing indicates that there is a current fault in the engine computer . I have seen this same concern on a customers truck that had a faulty 4x4 switch on the transfer case. This may or may not be the problem with yours. You will need to retrieve the fault codes from the PCM to accurately detect the specific fault. The PCM is controlling the late shifting due to a faulty input .pulling the fault code will tell you what input is causing the problem.
Do you still need assistance with this question? Please check the ACCEPT tab if you are satisfied with my help. thanks again!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi i've got a appointment ffor friday to check for fault codes. let you know soon as possible. thxs

Sounds good. Look forward to hearing the code results. Thanks !
Hi Jerry,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]
Hey Jerry, just wondering if you were able to get the fault codes for your transmission ??
If you are all set, please check the ACCEPT tab. You can return to this question anytime if you need further assistance. Thank you ! Scott
Not sure if you still need my assistance or are we done here. Can you please get back to me and let me know?? Thank you for your time. Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi scott sorry out of town . mechanic says speed sensor on bellhousin bad going to change it on friday ill let you know thxs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi scott mechanic says bad speed sensor on bellhousing will let you know thxs

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi scott speed sensor was no help, any ideas?

Is your truck a 4wd?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Without using a scan tool to monitor input readings, I would recommend replacing the 4wd switch on the transfer case. This is a common cause of no upshifts due to the PCM thinking its in 4 low. If you have access to a scan tool. Have the 4w low reading monitored while driving.