Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.

I have a 2004 GMC 2500 Duramax 6.6. It will up and quit running

Customer Question

I have a 2004 GMC 2500 Duramax 6.6. It will up and quit running but will restart. Changed the crank shaft position sensor but that did not help. The is no engine check light coming on either. HELP! what else can cause this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX am sorry to hear of your troubles. The 2 most common causes of this are wire/connection issues. Mainly with the crankshaft sensor harness and the 2 main engine harness connectors on top of the left (drivers side) valve cover. With EXTREAM CAUTION!!! wiggle the wires and connectors in these areas with the engine running to see if it will stall. Please be careful...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Tried your wire test as described above. Engine did not stall or even miss.

What next?

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
You said that there is no check engine light on. Did you check it for codes? There could still be a code with no light on. With out a code at this point it will be hard to determine what is causing the stall since it will restart right away. It may actually take hands on time with a scanner.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That is why the crankshaft position sensor was changed due to code.PO335. ($300.00 later) Can fuel filters cause this? I removed the EDGE Juice with attitude and the stalls continued. I also ordered a Code reader/scanner. It should be here by Friday. I may have more info for you after that. The engine has not failed for a couple days now.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What is the best way to use the scanner for this situation?

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Thats a tough one.... It depends on what your scanner can do for one. Really you have to know what all the data should be and try to catch something going out of wack when the problem happens. If you had a no start it would be easy to just look for something that is not right while trying to start it. Your problem seems to be only for a short instance so it will be hard to catch it. If there is a code you should be able to get "freeze frame date". That will show you the data at the time the code set.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I changed the fuel filter. It needed it, but still stalls. What about the fuel control module? Can it cause such a problem?

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Yes it could. Really along with just about any sensor or module to deal with the engine. I would just hate to jump to throwing parts at it.
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have not completed your suggestions yet. Waiting on Code scanner ordered. it should be here 10/11/13

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Not a problem. I have been busy. :) Just let me know when you are ready.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. I got my scanner/reader and I did get an engine light. The code is still PO335 Crankshaft position sensor circuit A. The sensor has been replaced by Stone Motors. Mechanic at Stone said he checked the wires also. I have checked the wires as best possible. Suddenly got worse. It will only start intermittently now. It idles fine but when you try to accelerate it will die. At this point it won't restart for a while.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
OK the problem is that the diagnostics for that code basically say that if it starts then it is intermittent. If we start testing we don't know if it is in the condition to start or not. I have a lot of hits for the edge boxes being bad but they ran fine after removing them. It may be possible that it damaged the sensor but I am thinking more of a wire issue still. Did your Edge Juice plug in at the 2 main connectors over the valve cover? If yes then I would take them apart and look at all the pins. You want to make sure that they are all out the same amount. It is possible that one may have been pushed back some and not making the best connection. You can also try wiggling them with it running again. You can be kind of forceful with them Just not to hard :)
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Oh yea does your scanner give you any data?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. I checked all the pins on both connecters with no problems. I got 5 codes now as follows:

P0090 - Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Circuit.

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit High.

P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit.

P0374 - Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A No Pulse.

P0540 - Intake Air Heater A Circuit.

Are these related or can the computer be going?

I have also been having problems with my instrument cluster intermittent. I can press firmly in the top center and it will come on.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
p0374&P0335 has to do with crank signal to fuel injection control module. P0090 & P0193 both have to do with fuel then the air heater. Not making much sense now. Do these codes come back every time now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Without clearing the computer, the same codes come back. Should I delete the codes? It may take days before any codes pop up again.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Yes clear the codes and recheck after it dies again. Also I am seeing some issues with the crank sensor reluctor. It is what the crank sensor picks up on. I have seen problems where they are coming loose. I don't know if you pulled the crank sensor out if you could feel if it is loose.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I didn't change the sensor so I don't know if it is loose. I did see that problem on YouTube. Looks like a nightmare to change one. I will pull the sensor back out and check myself. I am also going to do a continuity test on both connectors and CPS to FCM. This will take a good part of tomorrow.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
ok good hunting. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Same codes came back.

P0540 - Intake Air Heater A Circuit.

I checked for 12 volts at the crankshaft position sensor. it had 10.8 v. battery had 12.4 v.

I removed the sensor and checked the reluctor wheel. It was tight.

For a while it would idle fine. If you increase throttle, it would sputter and miss fire. If in gear and increase throttle, it will die. Now it won't even start.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Starting to sound more and more like electrical issues. possible ECM

Here are the diagnostics for the code.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Run this check first. Let me know if you need the engine wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If this turns out to be an injector problem, This engine should still be under warranty. 7 years, 200,000 miles.

Thanks for your inputs and hints. Sorry but none were of much help. No fault on you.

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
Wish I could have been more help. Good luck.