Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

I have a 2002 boxster with 29,000 miles .Should I have the

I have a 2002 boxster with 29,000 miles .Should I have the IMS problem done before I have engine damage . and what is the cost ?
Hello,I am Scott and I will assist you with your concern.

YES! The vehicle is too old to be included in the Class action Law Suit and the replacement kit is around $600.00 plus labor. Much cheaper than a Crate Motor. While there, be sure the rear main oil seal is not leaking. 2002 and only 29K makes me wonder if it is not dried out.

So, figure on about 15 hours labor at the rate in your area, plus the kit and essentials, at $70.00 an hour {a guess because I do not know where you live}, I'd figure $1700.00 plus tax.

Waayyyy cheaper than a motor at 14 hours plus and the cost of the crated unit.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

So have you decided what you are going to do? I home my information was helpful in you making a decision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I called the dealer that did work on the car in 2007. They told me the bearing cap was replaced when the rear main seal was changed. I assume this was the upgrade needed ? Am I correct ?

Just Checking in on you to see how things are going and if you made any progress?