Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza 5 speed manual transmission. I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the clutch myself, bleed the clutch, etc. When I start the engine and engage the clutch, the vehicle will only go into reverse. When I try to shift into gear it will not go forward. This vehicle has a shift linkage which might need some sort of adjustment. I have a repair manual and did all of the steps pertaining to the clutch and shift linkage,etc. but I am not sure what the problem is.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You have been waiting an excessive amount on us techs to help you out, for that I am sorry. First off before I go into detail in an answer or an info request. I need to know, do you still need help? I realize you have been waiting a while and in some cases customers had to seek help elsewhere and or they solved the concern on there own. I and the website are sorry you had to wait, we do want to earn your business and have you log off with a great experience.

You are more than welcome to relist if you would like, do realize if you relist this will delay me replying to you even more. Also let me know your skill level so I can tailor my response to fit your needs. I work the evening shift, so that is when I will respond.

Thanks Chris.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.. I still need an answer to my question. I have a fairly good skill level and as I mentioned before, I took the manual transmission off and replaced the clutch my self and I have a repair manual to my 2007 Suzuki Forenza. Hopefully you can give me an answer to why it is stuck in reverse only. I am trying to avoid having it towed to a repair shop if it is something simple.
Otherwise, I may need to take the transmission out again and replace it if that is the problem, Thanks, Tim

If you are actually not able to get the shifter into a forward gear when running but you can when off, then the clutch disc is still spinning and not fully releasing. If you can not get the shifter into a forward gear then its a shift linkage issue. Let me know which concern you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I start the car and put the gear in 1st, 2nd,etc. it just dies or tries to go in reverse. I can move the shifter to 1st,2nd,etc even with the car on or off.

It is almost like it can't find the gears coming out of reverse

I am pretty sure its a linkage issue based on those comments. Perform the below adjustments.

Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris